No matter what the differences between the ketogenic diet and the paleo diet are, the similarities are quite striking. For starters, both the diet plans require the elimination of refined carbs like flour and sugar and undertaking a serious hunt for desserts that do not throw you off-wagon. While it is not impossible to create Keto and paleo-friendly desserts which are dairy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free, it is quite difficult to find them at regular stores around the block. So, those who practice keto or paleo almost always consider honing their baking skills or going off the sweet treats for good.
But situations are, thankfully, not so dire. There are several niche bakeries like pbhfoods.com which not only prepare Keto-friendly sweet treats and paleo desserts but also arrange for having them delivered to your doorstep. This particular online bakery provides one of the best cinnamon rolls delivery service and the best part- their cinnamon rolls taste equally good, if not better than regular cinnamon rolls, at no calorie or carb cost at all!
Erythritol – The Magic Secret Ingredient in Keto and Paleo Desserts
The Keto diet involves managing the macros, namely, the carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. While one school of thought advocates that the fat percentage should be the highest, followed by the protein, another school believes that protein should constitute the highest portion of every keto meal followed by fat. Both schools of thought, however, agree that the percentage of net carbs should be kept below 20 grams per day. This diet kick starts the ketogenic process whereby the body starts utilizing fat for energy and this not only reverses weight gain but also benefits the body by initiating cell repair.
The Paleo diet does not put a limitation on the number of carbohydrates that can be consumed but instead is restrictive in the choice of grains that can be included in each meal. Paleo, however, restricts dairy products like milk, cheeses, and butter as well as refined sugar. Individuals practicing paleo try to emulate the food habits of our hunter-gatherer ancestors in an attempt to reverse diseases that were not prevalent in those times, specifically because of healthier and more wholesome eating habits.
With processed sugar being strictly off-limits, bakeries specializing in keto and paleo desserts have adopted a fair substitute called erythritol. Erythritol is a kind of sugar that can be found in natural fermentation processes. The great thing about this sweetener is that it contains zero net carbs and only around 6 percent of the calories found in regular sugar. Other popular sugar substitutes that can be used to make keto and paleo-friendly desserts are stevia and xylitol.
You can customize almost every sweet treat to suit a keto or paleo lifestyle, whether it is a brownie you are craving for dinner or a doughnut for breakfast. The trick is to know the right recipe or the right baker!
Healthy Desserts for Healthy People: Sweet Lovers’ Not So Guilty Pleasures
Desserts made from nut flour, especially almond flour, have become the go-to for those trying to stay on course in their diets. From cinnamon rolls to chocolate chip cookies, dieters can actually have it all without the need to feel guilty about their indulgence at all. The best part is most of these sweet treats have very low net carb values and come as gluten-free alternatives to regular desserts. Here are some of the most popular choices that all keto and paleo dieters dig:
- Paleo Snickerdoodle Cookies: Soft and chewy on the inside, these treats are perfect for Paleo as they are made with honey, almond flour, unsweetened coconut flakes and a dash of cinnamon.
- Keto Cookie Box: A combination of cookies in different flavors like lemon coconut, dark choco-chip, and choco fudge may seem like a dream come true for sweet lovers on a keto diet, especially since none of the cookies exceed a net carb value of 2 grams each.
- Paleo Cinnamon Rolls: A combination of coconut and almond flour, cinnamon, honey, eggs, coconut sugar, and coconut oil is what goes in to create the most perfectly moist, gooey and textured cinnamon rolls. These give tough competition to the regular variant and are one of the most popular paleo desserts out there.
- Paleo Walnut Brownies: A paleo-friendly brownie can be a chewy wonder which is low carb, gluten-free, dairy-free and made from wholesome, nutritional ingredients. The primary ingredients that go into making such deliciously soft and sweet brownies are almond flour, unsweetened chocolate, coconut oil, coconut sugar, eggs, and walnuts!
Freezer Safe Desserts for Sudden Sweet Tooth Cravings
One of the most common practices amongst keto and paleo dieters is to purchase or prepare their desserts in bulk and store them in the freezer. This is the most practical solution for those practicing alternate lifestyles because not every bakery sells gluten-free and dairy-free cookies, cakes and rolls. Neither do all stores sell desserts which are low in net carbs, as required to maintain ketosis. Some of the most popular dessert items that can be availed in larger amounts for stocking are:
- Keto Cookie and Donut Bundle: Comprising the keto versions of lemon coconut cookies and cinnamon sugar donuts, this bundle of desserts packs a whole lot of happiness. The cookies measure only 2g of net carbs per serving, whereas the donuts amount to 5g of net carbs per serving.
- Keto Cookie Gang: What do you do when you find fudge cookies that come with only 2g of net carb? You stock up on as many as you can! But what is even better than a number of keto-friendly fudge cookies is the fact that those fudge cookies accompany lemon coconut and choco-chip cookies measuring 2g and 1g net carbs each.
- Cinnamon Lover’s Bundle: This box of gluten and dairy-free paleo-friendly cinnamon rolls and cinnamon empanadas are perfect for a sweet treat to self or as a gift for a dear friend co-riding the paleo wagon!
The secret to successfully maintaining any lifestyle and any diet plan especially is to find ways to enjoy it. With keto and paleo-friendly desserts being available, even sweet lovers can be confident about being able to pull of healthy lifestyle changes without feeling like they are giving up too much.