IT equipment is designed to cope with complicated computing tasks and store a huge amount of datum. These processes require a high system load. Due to increased consumption of power and generating complicated info, hardware tends to work noisily, which can become a real problem if server cabinets are installed in in a workplace in an office or home.
An increased noisiness negatively influences employees’ concentration and productivity. If they are distracted by outside noise, employees can’t focus on their duties and perform ineffectively. Thus, the issue of server rack noise reduction is essential for companies with computer server racks installed on premises where people spend a big amount of time.
Causes of Extra Noisiness
Note that excess noise can serve as an alarm for equipment malfunction. If the sound is not natural, this can signal hardware overheating, fan failure, incorrectly set speed and other breaks. Thus, system administrators should conduct a timely examination of hardware.
One of the following reasons can stand as a reason for noise reduction:
- Cooling systems. If fans are outdated or their optimal performance speed is violated, they can work noisily. For example, excessive rotation of the fan blades results in additional sound. Another possible cause is dust accumulation on blades. If fans are not properly cleaned, the airflow circulation will be hindered.
- Thin walls. A server rack is made of metal sheets of a particular thickness. Yet, sometimes this thickness is not enough to absorb noise. If a network system consists of too many components, sound can penetrate through walls. Moreover, consider the fact that cabinets have perforated surfaces.
If you deal with cabinet installation in populated premises, you have to seek ways how to soundproof a server rack.
Buy a quality soundproof server rack
There are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for a soundproof server rack. First, make sure that the rack is made of solid materials that will block out noise. Second, look for a rack that has good ventilation so that your servers won’t overheat. Finally, make sure the rack is big enough to fit all of your servers.
Once you have your soundproof server rack, there are a few other things you can do to further reduce noise. Make sure all of your cables are neatly organized and routed through the back of the rack. This will help reduce clutter and minimize the amount of noise that escapes from the front of the rack. Additionally, consider adding acoustic panels or foam to the inside of the rack to further dampen noise.
Working Techniques on how to Decrease Server Cabinet Noise
Depending on the problem, the following tips will help make IT equipment work quieter:
- Check temperature and ventilation. Computer hardware heats well. If the temperature is very high, devices will emit additional noise, which serves as an alarm to check the cooling systems. Pay attention to fans, examine their performance, and make sure that they run optimally. Their primary purpose is to cool down devices. Improperly functioning fans won’t provide sufficient air circulation and can lead to equipment overheating.
- Check whether the used firmware is of the latest version. If it is not, update it. Manufacturers constantly improve the quality and efficiency of their firmware. Released updates are aimed at making hardware work more effectively and smoothly.
- Adjust the default settings according to your needs. Most fans are set by default to work at maximum performance. But, if your system does not require such a high-performance cooling strategy, you can adjust settings and reduce the speed of fans.
- Examine fans for dust pollution. All sorts of debris from the environment tend to settle on fan blades over time. The accumulation of dust impedes air circulation and causes too noisy operation. Put out fans and clean blades.
- Buy server furniture designed to absorb server noise. Modern manufacturers offer soundproof server models. Their enclosures are made of soundproof materials and provide improved soundproof properties. Soundproof characteristics are achieved due to the use of additional layers of soundproof material, such as foam or rubberized covers.
- Replace outdated fans with ultra-silent units. Modern producers constantly improve the characteristics of their products by making them even more silent and pumping up functionalities. Thus, the modern market offers ultra-silent units that almost do not produce noise during the performance. Install such units instead of outdated fans and kill two birds with one stone achieving sufficient air circulation (i.e. equipment cooling) and reducing noise.
These techniques will help achieve server cabinet noise reduction. However, if all components and fans run smoothly, but noise is still heard, you can pump your server cabinet with soundproof materials.
Materials for Server Furniture Noise Reduction
Sometimes, system administrators optimize their network units to work fluently, but natural noise still can impede the performance of office employees. In such cases, cabinets need upgrade. System administrators can use the following materials to reduce the level of noise:
- Rubberized spray. This solution implies that rubberized liquid is applied to server cabinet walls. When the substance dries, it forms a rubber layer that perfectly absorbs noise, occupying little space.
- Acoustic foam. This option allows dampening sound since a special composition of foam does not allow sound to go through. On the other hand, it takes more space inside cabinet enclosures.
- Mass-loaded vinyl. This is a thin and elastic material with perfect sound-dampening properties. It is applied to the inner surfaces of cabinets and effectively muffles sound.
Excess noise produced by IT equipment can become a real problem for office employees. However, it is a natural consequence of hardware operation. System administrators have a wide range of solutions on how to cope with the problem. Depending on the cause, they can pick a suitable solution and make cabinets quieter.
If you’re looking for ways to reduce server noise, the tips in this article should help. By following these tips, you can minimize the amount of noise your server produces, making it more pleasant for both you and your customers. In addition, by reducing server noise, you can also reduce your energy consumption, which is good for both your bottom line and the environment. So if you’re looking for ways to be more efficient and reduce your carbon footprint, consider implementing some of these tips on how to reduce server noise.