Cooking can be an extremely tricky or a pretty cathartic process, depending on one’s mental state. However, it can be extremely exhausting if you are moving into a new setup, say if you are setting up your own home, or you are moving into a bachelor’s pad. It can be a daunting task if you have absolutely zero help setting your own kitchen, now that can be an ordeal. Here is an entire list made for you curated by the best minds and hands working in the kitchen.
Nine unmissable things you need to keep in the kitchen are as follows:
1. Knives: This one goes absolutely without going, you have to have a knife in the kitchen to survive in the kitchen. Idealistically, you should be keeping a set of three knives, according to experts. A serrated knife to slice down bread or cakes, a paring knife to mince, or slice meats and a chef’s knife to do most of your basic cutting, chopping, dicing and slicing. You could either buy a set of these three, or you could choose a knife which could be a mix of all these three together. If this already sounds confusing, check out Cookinglife.eu to simplify it all.
2. Cutting / Chopping Boards: You obviously would not be chopping on glass and stone surfaces (and you shouldn’t be either). Doing these can make your knives blunt and they can lose their longevity. According to our bereft cohort, you could get at least two chopping boards, one made of plastic and another made of wood or bamboo. Always make sure to keep a damp cloth underneath your boards to prevent it from slipping because you could be at a high chance of cutting yourself.
3. Mixing Bowls: People might not agree, but mixing bowls are actually necessity items while setting up a kitchen. Not only can you mix and mash things into it, but if and when necessary, you can eat out of those bowls as well! Jokes apart, it is useful and advisable to get mixing bowls made of glass, since they are microwave and dishwasher proof, and washing them can be an easy task to achieve.
4. Measuring Spoons and Cups: Yes, we know that you are thinking why would this be possibly into a must-have list, but once you make this purchase, you would be thanking us. There is a high chance of you messing up any recipe with volume measurements, which can often change and falter according to places. Weight measurements and measuring spoons/ cups could be a great alternative to it.
5. Can Opener / Bottle Opener: A can opener or a bottle opener could be a lifesaver at times when you have people over and cannot manage to open a bottle cap or a can of soda or beer. To save yourself from embarrassment, you should definitely be thinking of buying one of these babies. Also, if you are someone who is fond of keeping your nails long and are not interested in broken finger-nails, a bottle or can opener should be your savior.
6. Colander: a colander can be a great friend, you could be draining pasta or vegetables, or if you are making a rice-based dish, it is a great equipment to wash and dry your rice. It is again advisable to get a set of them, for light, medium and heavy duty rinsing and straining jobs, especially for broths, when you just need to liquid to be separated from the other things.
7. Vegetable Peeler: A vegetable peeler is an actual must-have since it can get extremely hard and difficult to peel and slice your vegetables, and by peeling your veggies with a chef’s knife or a paring knife, you run a greater risk of cutting your finger or injuring yourself. So, it is advisable to use a peeler to peel your veggies. Peelers can be a great alternative to graters and do a better job at prepping your salad. It is so much better to be using a peeler as compared to a grater or knife.
8. Spatulas, Spoons, Whisks and Tongs: It is a no brainer that if you are setting up a kitchen, you ought to be having something to stir and serve them in. It is an essential part if you are about to cook anything and should be stored in a proper manner. Wooden spoons and ladles are the best way to cook stuff like sauces and soups. They are unbeatable when it comes to the functionality and can uplift the look and feel of your kitchen in an instance. Whisks can be used for roux-based things like gumbo, or to mix up all your salad dressings. Spatulas could be of silicone since they do absolutely zero damage to your non-stick cooking utensils as well as give a clear scrape to whatever you are trying to get rid of. Tongs are obviously an extremely useful tool to agitate pasta, or to flip steaks, or keeping a distance while frying anything.
9. Towels Along with Pot-holders: If you are not a great fan of burns and scalds, then you should definitely invest into towels and pot-holders. This not only protects you from getting your hands burnt, but it also prevents any sort of spillage. You should get a few of these in a varying amount of colors, because not only would give you a lot of options to use them, but in case you washed one pot holder, you could still cook without waiting for the washed cloth to dry out, but it also makes your kitchen look incredibly colorful.
We sincerely hope that this apparatus list helps you set your kitchen a little bit easier, if not anything else. Afterall, setting up a kitchen is not an easy job to do, and if not done properly, it could either prove to be fatal, but it could also seriously mess up your time schedule and make life extremely difficult.