Writing proves an extensive and fascinating discipline, with almost everyone getting a taste of it as part of their learning process while in school. Writing forms a critical element of communication. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that to some individuals, writing can prove a passion that they will engage in as a pass-time activity. However, to others, the trade becomes a full-time job that pays the bills.
Most professional writers write for blogs or websites, and these can include standard articles, blog posts, case studies, white papers, and marketing collateral, among others. The other category involves writers who do creative novels and books. So what happens if you encounter a large writing project? How will you go about it when it comes to handling it?
According to paperwritten.com, large writing projects usually require a distinct skillet, separate from the standard writing expertise, to effectively deliver. You cannot rely on your command of language and narration prowess alone. Such projects need extensive research, including doing live interviews, extensive reading, etc., besides the writing, rewriting, and proofing components. Additionally, you have to possess exceptional organization skills, impeccable project management skills, relentless drive, and unwavering faith in your story.
Manage a large writing project can prove a challenging prospect to any writer, regardless of your experience level. However, writers’ fresh to the concept of large projects can mainly find it challenging to cope. But regardless of your level, you can always consider the following guidelines to ensure the process becomes bearable and the quality of the write-up prove elite.
Guidelines to Managing Large Writing Projects
- Plan. Large writing projects require an elaborate plan to become doable. Understand all the research materials you will need for the project besides everything that can contribute to the project’s effective completion. The process of assembling all the resources can take a while, but it should not discourage you. Get the working proposal ready with all the expected activities and resources detailed accurately. It will give you proper direction, and this will help to complete the project effectively.
- Research. Anyone who has undertaken a large writing project will attest to the extensive research such projects demand from you to become successful. You will have to scour for information from the available sources. Here, you can do physical or online interviews, read information materials online, and conduct surveys if you must, among other things. Additionally, you will have to constantly liaise with your agent and other trusted journalists and writers to give your project the right context and direction, ensuring that the concept is exciting and viable.
- Organization of the content. Once you begin the research process, you will discover that you will have enormous amounts of information as you move along. Consequently, proper organization of the concepts will become prudent to prevent you from deviating off-track. Tools to use for organizing your work can include Scrivener and Evernote. Scrivener will help you focus on the composition and structuring of extensive and complicated documents, while Evernote can become useful in casting the net wide in your writing process.
- Stay grounded. Most writers will attest to the difficulty of staying on track or grounded when dealing with large information. Knowledge and your innate curiosity can set you in diverse directions, which, consequently, can lead you astray. To stay grounded requires inspiration, which can come from reminding yourself of the payment you will get upon completing the project. Inspire yourself also by using a particular concept that relates to your project. So pick whatever will keep you motivated and grounded in completing the project. Additionally, use calendars to set goals, complete with timelines for completion, though remember to become flexible. You can also manage self-expectation and keep task lists.
- Focus on the immediate. Try and concentrate on the immediate and not the deadlines and milestones you want to meet. Most people tend to map their milestones and timelines linearly, which can distract them from focusing on the current task at hand.
- Self-awareness. A large writing project can prove overwhelming despite the elaborate planning. So when you encounter a hitch, try and remember what makes you function and eliminate your functionality. It will prove essential in helping you to calm down and adjust your plans. To do this, you can meet a close friend, walk, get a massage, or shower to relax and become sane again.
- Celebrate milestones. Taking a break and celebrating your achievements can prove an incredible boost to your morale in tackling and completing the next segment or project that comes your way. Here, you can have a small reward system to realize a milestone; you can do something exciting or get yourself a special meal.
- Take a break to re-energize and rediscover yourself. It becomes crucial to take a break upon the completion of each partitioned segment to get rejuvenated. Here, you can decide to watch a film or documentary related to what the project entails in one way or another, especially when you feel uninspired to write.
- Reflect on lessons learned. It proves one of the most important yet highly ignored activities by most writers ignore. You need to take time and assess the entire project upon completion to understand the challenges and key takeaways that will help you improve on your next big project.
A large writing project can prove overwhelming to the most ardent writer. Therefore, adhere to the mentioned guidelines to ensure the successful completion of whatever large project you decide to undertake next time.