Bimatoprost is an FDA-approved medicine for relieving eye pressure by draining excess fluid from the eyes.
It reduces ocular pressure and the chances of total blindness.
In addition to its medical benefits, doctors also recommend Bimatoprost for eyelash growth.
Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Eye Drops is the first medicine approved by the US FDA for medical and cosmetic purposes.
Bimatoprost is entirely safe and has no notable adverse effects. This is one of the many reasons this treatment has been immensely successful over the years.
Even though they have the same ingredient there are a few differences between Latisse and Lumigan. Consult a doctor before taking any of them.
Uses of Bimatoprost
Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution belongs to a class of drugs known as prostaglandin analogs.
It is offered as an Ophthalmic Solution and as a Bimatoprost implant.
Bimatoprost is an excellent treatment for Hypotrichosis of Eyelashes.
Hypotrichosis is a rare inherited condition in which hair does not develop on the head, including the eyebrows and the edge of the eyelids, or in other parts of the body where hair usually grows.
Bimatoprost eyelash serum acts to promote eyelash growth and treat Hypotrichosis.
Apart from using Bimatoprost for eyelash growth, your doctor may also recommend it for treating certain eye conditions such as:
- Open Angle Glaucoma: In open-angle glaucoma, the drainage angle where fluid usually flows out of the eye stays open but doesn’t drain properly
- Ocular Hypertension: A condition in which the pressure inside the eye is above than usual, but there is no harm to the optic nerve or loss of vision
How does Bimatoprost help in eyelash growth?
Bimatoprost is a medication used to treat glaucoma, which causes excess pressure in the eye.
However, it was later discovered that it could also stimulate eyelash growth, leading to the development of the cosmetic product.
The exact mechanism by which Bimatoprost promotes eyelash growth has yet to be fully understood.
However, it is thought to increase the time of the growth phase (anagen) of the eyelash hair cycle and to increase the number of hairs in the growth phase.
Bimatoprost mimics the action of prostaglandin, a natural substance in the body that regulates various physiological processes, including hair growth.
Bimatoprost can promote the growth of thicker, longer, and darker eyelashes by binding to prostaglandin receptors in the hair follicle.
How to use Bimatoprost for eyelash growth
Here are the steps for using Bimatoprost for eyelash growth:
- Wash your hands properly with water and soap
- Clean your face of any makeup, creams, or lotions you may use
- Remove contact lenses, if applicable
- Open the Bimatoprost bottle and gently squeeze one drop of the solution onto the provided applicator brush
- Gently apply the solution to the skin at the base of the upper eyelashes of one eye using the applicator brush provided. Avoid getting the solution in your eye or on the lower eyelid
- Repeat the same for the other eye using a new applicator brush
- Blot any extra solution with a clean tissue
- Discard the used applicator brush and close the Bimatoprost bottle
- Use Bimatoprost once daily, if possible at night, for at least 12-16 weeks to see the results
- If you miss a dose, do not apply a different solution to make up for the missed dose. Just use the solution, as usual, the next night
It is important to note that these eye drops are prescription medication, always follow your doctor’s instructions on how to use Bimatoprost for eyelash growth.
When to avoid Bimatoprost
While using Bimatoprost for eyelash growth, it is necessary to take certain precautions for safe and effective treatment. Here are a few things to keep in mind before starting treatment:
- Only use Bimatoprost as directed by your doctor. Do not use more or less or more frequently than prescribed
- Not recommended for breastfeeding or pregnant women as its impact on the fetus or baby is not known
- This growth serum is for external use only. Do not get it into your eyes or on the lower eyelids. If the solution gets into your eyes, rinse them thoroughly with water
- Inform your doctor before using this medicine, if you have a history of eye problems or are on any other medicine
- Do not use Bimatoprost if you are allergic to it or any of its ingredients
- If you face redness, itching, or swelling of the eyes, inform your doctor immediately
- Keep the Bimatoprost bottle tightly closed when not in use and store it at room temperature, away from direct sunlight
Follow the abovementioned precautions to safely and effectively use Bimatoprost for eyelash growth.
While Bimatoprost is generally safe and effective, it can cause some side effects in some individuals.
Some of the common side effects of using Bimatoprost for eyelash growth are:
- Eye redness
- Darkening of the eyelid skin
- Eye itching
- Eye dryness
- Eye irritation
- Darkening of the iris
- Eyelash growth in other areas if the solution is not applied carefully
If the solution is not applied carefully, it can cause eyelash growth in other regions.
These adverse effects are usually minor and transient, fading away as your body adjusts to the medicine.
However, contact your physician immediately if you experience severe or long-lasting side effects while taking Bimatoprost, such as vision changes, eye pain, or light sensitivity.
Only some people taking Bimatoprost will experience side effects, and the benefits of using the medicine for eyelash development may exceed the dangers.
Always with your doctor before beginning or discontinuing any medicine, and follow their recommendations for safe and effective treatment.
Bimatoprost eyelash growth serum can help people with short or few eyelashes look better by making them grow longer.
Even though it’s usually safe and effective when used as per your doctor’s instructions, it’s crucial to take precautions and watch out for any side effects that might happen.
People can easily use Bimatoprost to make their eyelashes longer, fuller, and darker if they talk to a doctor and do what they say.
Bimatoprost can make your eyes look better and increase your confidence if you use it regularly.