Committing to changes in life is rarely—if ever—easy. Having to break old habits while replacing them with healthier practices can be disheartening and challenging at times. But it isn’t impossible to achieve the desired results. So whether you’re looking to adopt a more positive perspective on life, engage in a new workout program, or have a more nutritious and well-balanced diet, this guide will help cover some helpful ways to live a happy and healthy life.
How do you begin living healthily?
Living a healthy life is a goal many share, but where do you begin? Once you’ve decided to start making changes, you need to develop a plan on how best to do it.
- Identify unhealthy habits you’re looking to change. Make a list of all your bad habits and write down the reason why you want to drop them. For example, quitting smoking may reduce your risk of developing health-related conditions if you’re a smoker.
- Remain accountable for these changes. Never put the blame on being unable to live healthily with others or for lacking time. Do the same to yourself as you would hold someone accountable for their promise.
- Remove or limit negative triggers. If alcohol consumption encourages you to light a cigarette, try to avoid drinking. Or, if browsing through social media elicits negative emotions, delete your account. You’re likely aware of the things and situations that can trigger unhealthy habits, so do your best to avoid them.
- Believe in yourself. One reason people cannot commit to healthy changes is that they don’t believe they can. Half of the battle in success is knowing that you can do it. So never indulge in negative thoughts and self-talk. Instead, replace it with positivity.
- Set realistic expectations. Changing is never easy, and there’s a good chance that you’ll face obstacles along the way. But instead of allowing failure to win, understand that there will be times when you’ll stumble and fall, and pick yourself up and continue moving forward. For example, if you have a lot of post-workout pain, don’t be afraid to use products like turmeric relief creams such as those from onefarm.com if you need help. There is anecdotal evidence to suggest these products can provide the potential benefit of easing these aches and pains.
- Pace yourself. A healthy lifestyle isn’t about making grandiose changes but making small ones that turn into daily habits. So pace yourself—take small steps and gradually build it up.
Importance of goal setting
Establishing goals is vital to planning a healthy lifestyle. They give you something you can work towards and help encourage you to perform at your best. It also helps narrow your focus and sets performance metrics you can measure to see how far you’ve gone since you started. However, when setting objectives, always try to be realistic with what you can do. For example, quitting smoking or running a marathon won’t happen overnight. It may even take months to do. And if you set unreasonable goals, you’ll only end up disappointed.
Instead, start with smaller objectives, focusing on no more than a couple of goals first to ensure you don’t get overwhelmed. If your goal is weight loss, choose exercises that are simple to do. Instead of removing entire food groups from your diet, lessen your food consumption and eat more vegetables. Don’t forget to keep track of your progress. It will help you meet your primary goals.
Working on mental health
The first thing that comes to mind when talking about healthy living is the adoption of a well-balanced diet and daily workout regimen. However, positivity and mental well-being are just as essential in a healthy lifestyle as physical wellness. In any area of life, understanding how to be happy is essential. To put things into perspective, people who experience traumatic injuries generally endure considerable pain and rehabilitation before getting better. And those who have a positive mindset usually get better much sooner than those who don’t.
The question is, how can you remain positive and maintain exceptional mental health? With all the everyday difficulties and stresses we have to deal with, it’s not hard to get overwhelmed. With that said, the first step in being mentally healthy is putting your personal needs before everyone else on occasion. After all, you won’t be able to care for others if you neglect yourself. So, start with you. Find time to enjoy the things you like and relax. Seek professional support if you need to as well. It will go a long way.
The way that you think of yourself will have a significant impact on your feelings and emotions. Negative thoughts might not sound like a big deal, but you’ll be surprised at how much harm negative thoughts will have on your confidence. Therefore, it’s always better to practice thinking positively instead of opting for negative reinforcement. Don’t let the little voice in your head talk down to you about your appearance but rather find value within yourself because it will lead to a healthier and happier you.
How to remain motivated
The most challenging aspect of adopting a healthy lifestyle apart from getting the first foot through the door is keeping it there. Committing to long-term changes is neither as simple nor as easy as some might think, especially if the habits to be changed have been around for a long time. Fortunately, it isn’t impossible to do. To that end, here are some tips that should help you remain motivated throughout the process.
- Check how much progress you’ve made every so often. Doing so will show you that you’re making headway and may encourage you to do more.
- Look for ways to make healthy living fun. For example, take a cooking class or have friends and family members join your workout program.
- Reward yourself whenever you manage to accomplish your goals or reach specific milestones.
A healthy lifestyle isn’t impossible to achieve, even for those with plenty of bad habits that need to be dropped. However, it does take a lot of work and time. The key to success is keeping your goals in mind, pacing yourself, and never giving up, even if things get tough. So long as you persevere, you’ll get the result you want.