You might be looking for a new hairstyle that you’ll rock this fall, and if so, you might have started thinking about getting extensions, more specifically, sew-ins. However, if you did some digging online, you probably saw a lot of people claim that these extensions damaged their hair, but, that is not entirely true.
In fact, these hair extensions will look and feel like natural locks, they will be properly applied to your had, and you can basically do the same things as you do with your natural strands. Hence, you can wash, dye, cut, and do whatever other things you might want with it.
If you are thinking about whether or not you should get these add-ons, as well as if they’ll damage your hair, this article might be able to help you. Let’s take a look at some of the top misconceptions about sew-ins and all the benefits you can actually gain from applying them:
First Things First – What Are They?
The very first thing worth mentioning is what these extensions are. Basically, weave strands are added by braiding your natural hair into rows, and then the expert working on you will use a needle and some thread for connection the weave into the row. They are most commonly used by individuals who have thick locks.
The entire application process might be tiring, especially since it can last for several hours. Since the weave often puts some tension on the scalp, it won’t work as well with thinner locks, mostly because they can get uncomfortable because of the strain. Keep in mind that you must go to an experienced person, who knows exactly what they are doing.
The 3 Most Common Misconceptions About Sew-Ins
As mentioned at the beginning of the article, you might have seen people posting about these add-ons damaging their locks, and if so, you should know that it is not entirely true and that they have probably gone to a salon that is not so good at what they are doing. Some of the most common misconceptions are:
1. It Will Damage, Thin, or Break Your Locks
If there is one misconception that has been around for a really long time, it is that sew-ins will damage, thin, and/or break your strands. Although this is somewhat true for heat and glue application processes, it is not for this one. This option will actually allow your hair to breathe more than other options, hence, allowing your scalp to be healthy and strong as well.
2. They Blend Badly
According to the experts from glamlocks.com, if you opt for the right extensions for your locks, you won’t actually have any problems with them matching your natural strands. What does this mean? Well, it means that you won’t be able to tell the difference between the two, especially if it is applied properly.
3. They Will Show
Again, this is not true. Yes, we all saw some really embarrassing examples of wearing a weave, but, that does not mean that it is the same for every single person wearing it. This is why the hairdresser working on you will ensure that they are properly applied and hidden in the so-called ‘hidden’ zone.
The Benefits You Could Gain
Although a lot of people think that this option is bad, there is actually a wide range of benefits that you can gain, including:
- You Can Style it – one of the first and major benefits of choosing this option is that you’ll be able to style it in different ways. What does this mean? Well, you could curl, straighten, and dye your weave in any way that you imagine, meaning that there are no limitations.
- You’ll Gain Volume And Length – choosing a weave will allow you to have length when you need it and layers whenever you want to. Additionally, they could help you if you, for example, have a problem with your scalp or other areas of your head since they can hide them perfectly.
- It is Low-Maintenance – this option does not require the use of any glue or heat. And, as mentioned in the previous section, they won’t damage your hair, which means that you can do whatever you want with it once it is applied to your scalp. Of course, you’ll need to wash it regularly.
- It Helps Your Strands Grow – yet another benefit – as well as one that causes most people to choose this option – is that they can help your hair grow faster. Additionally, since they are sewn in, you won’t risk damaging your hair by using heat or glue, which could harm it.
Bonus Tip – Do Your Homework
Before we conclude this article, it is worth mentioning that you must choose the salon you’ll go to carefully and wisely, mostly because you’ll want to ensure that they know what they are doing. Hence, the first thing you should do is read the reviews. If there are more negative then positive testimonials, you might want to move on to the next place that you had in mind.
You need to consider the services they offer, and more importantly the products they use. Why? Well, the products they use might not be suitable for your locks, which in return, can damage them quite a lot. Additionally, do not forget to look at some before and after photographs because they can help you determine whether or not the specific location is suitable for you.
As you were able to learn, getting sew-in extensions won’t damage your hair if they are applied properly and professionally. Of course, you do not want to choose the first salon that comes up in the search results, instead, choose it carefully and wisely since it is quite important – you do not want your locks to get damaged, thinner, or completely broken.
So, now that you know that these add-ons won’t damage, break, or thin your hair, you should not lose any more of your time. Instead, you should start looking for a salon where you can get the best looking and most professionally applied wave in your hometown right away!