A gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ near the liver i.e. on the right side of the abdomen. Its main function is to store fluid called bile, which is produced by the liver. When the liver produces bile, it goes directly into the gallbladder, and further enters in the small intestine through the common bile duct. Bile is a yellowish-brown digestive enzyme that plays an important role in digestion by breaking the fats. It also helps in draining the waste particles from the liver to the small intestine.
So, it is mandatory to keep your gallbladder happy and healthy. For a clean gallbladder, you can drink a mix of olive oil, herbs, and some fruit juice for a certain period, if you feel any problem or any kind of pain.
The gallbladder commonly faces the problem of gallstones that is due to the chemical imbalance of bile produced inside the gallbladder. Also, sometimes, the high level of cholesterol can cause stones in the gallbladder commonly known as gallstones. So that means fried food can cause gallstones such as whole-dairy products, red meat, processed food, etc. This problem is commonly faced by both young and adult people and can be cured with some home remedies or if the problem is severe, can be cured with gall bladder removal surgery.
If the problem is not too high, it can be cured by drinking lots of water, apple cider vinegar with apple juice, castor oil, lemon juice, and olive oil, etc. These home remedies will break the small stones and will flush out through urine or will loosen the stool.
If you feel pain near the liver, it may be due to the blockage of the flow of bile due to stones. The symptoms can be indigestion, strong pain, heartburn, vomiting, and fever, or even jaundice. All these are the indications you can face when you have gallstones in your bladder. To remove this, many have to go into a gallbladder removal surgery, which is of two types:
- Open surgery -In this type of surgery, the doctor will make a cut of 5-7 inches on your belly. And then will take out the diseased organ. This is suitable for those who have a bleeding disorder or are overweight.
- Keyhole surgery – In this surgery, your doctor will make 3-4 small cuts on your stomach. They will insert a thin and flexible wire which contains a tiny camera. This will help the doctor to see properly within. Then by using special tools, the doctor will take out the organ.
Both these surgeries will be pain-free as the doctors will give anesthesia. This surgery does not require much time and is healed within a few days.
Also, after the surgery, you have to take care of your diet. It will lower down your capacity to digest oily and fried food. But you need not worry as this will not cause major health issues, but it can lead to painful gas, bloating, diarrhea. This will happen because the bile will directly reach the small intestine like purgatives.
Also, you need to follow a balanced diet after the surgery. Following are some food items which you can consume without even thinking:
- Steamed vegetables – You need to understand that after the removal surgery you should focus on consuming fewer fats and more fiber. Fibre will help you in keeping full and this will decrease the urge to eat processed food. Steamed vegetables are easy to digest and include all the required vitamins and minerals. It will help your body to easily digest by not putting pressure on the body. You can consume vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, etc.
- Avoid solids in starting – After the surgery, it is important to avoid solid foods for a week. As your body will not be in the condition to digest without a gall bladder. Slowly start adding solids to your diet as you will be habitual after a while.
- Fibre – Fibre will help to keep you full and this will decrease your mood to consume more.
- The soluble fibers will blend in the bile acid which will reduce the digestion stress. Soluble fiber food items include apples, strawberries, oats, bananas, carrots, beans, oranges, etc.
- Consume lean protein – The fatty meat can cause problems in digestion, but consuming lean protein is easily digestible. You can choose to consume lean beef, chicken, etc.
- Healthy fats – It is always advised by people to not consume fats after the gall bladder removal surgery but we cannot deny the fact that our body requires some healthy fats for the smooth functioning of the body organs. You can consume healthy fat foods such as coconut and olive oil, almonds, avocados, walnuts, flaxseeds, etc.
- Eat small portions – You can face problems in digesting a large portion of food all at once. So, it is always a good idea to have small meals at regular intervals.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol – Caffeine and alcohol contain some acid which can cause a chemical reaction and cause stomach pain. So, avoid consuming sodas, energy drinks, chocolates, etc.
- Contact a nutritionist – If confused, you can contact a known nutritionist or dietician which can help you to make a diet chart. They will help you with all the easily digestible foods. They can also help you with the substitutes of the food items.
So, a gall bladder removal surgery is not a serious issue as it looks. But it is necessary to make all the possible adjustments in your diet plan to recover. Also, you have to pay attention while consuming food lifetime. Otherwise, you will have to face some serious stomach pain. Try to include fiber food items that will keep you full and this won’t divert your mind to consume dairy products, processed foods, etc.
Do not avoid any small problem or issue in your body. Consult the doctor from Pristyn Care or any specialists as soon as possible. If ignored, the problem will worsen and will cause infection, leading to more bad circumstances.