Yoga is one of the most interesting modern complexes for achieving harmony of mind and body. We will tell you what to do if you are seriously interested in this practice.
It is believed that yoga is not a sport, but a philosophy, the principles of which can be effectively used in life. But even if breathing, relaxation and conscious thinking have already become a habit for you, you can’t do without strengthening muscles and studying asanas. Studies confirm that yoga classes help with back problems and improve cardiovascular function. The practice helps to strengthen muscles, begin to listen to yourself, relax and even cope with depression. But if you have a serious illness and confirmed diagnoses, yoga is no substitute for a doctor, and you can start practicing only after his approval.
It is best to start practicing yoga at home. Such classes can become a full-fledged substitute for group classes with a teacher, if you choose the right approach. To get you started, we recommend some of the best online yoga classes – https://mywowfit.com/yoga. One-on-one online classes with constant supervision from a true professional. Low prices and up to three trial classes guaranteed.
What are the benefits of doing yoga?
- It allows you to get to know yourself better. Yoga is an opportunity to take time for yourself, to be alone, to relax, and to forget your everyday worries. Find your rhythm and follow it. Listen to your breath and get to know the possibilities of your body.
- Develop flexibility and mobility in your body. You don’t have to be flexible to do yoga. This quality is acquired through practice – regular practice and proper breathing techniques help the body relax, get the most out of yoga and become more flexible.
- It gets rid of back pain. Another reason to do yoga is asanas (meditation poses). Asanas help relieve tension and pain by contracting and stretching muscles. Elastic and relaxed muscles straighten the spine and make it strong.
- They improve digestion. Some asanas in yoga affect the abdominal muscles and improve blood circulation in the body, including the intestines and stomach.
- It relieves stress and anxiety. During yoga practice, the emphasis is on deep breathing and balance. This helps to relax, calm and “unplug” from problems.
- It boosts the immune system. Yoga exercises naturally normalize the lymphatic system. This helps to cleanse the body of toxins and protect it from disease.
- It improves the functioning of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems. During yoga practice, we pay special attention to the breath, concentrating on it. Proper technique allows deep breathing and calms the heartbeat, saturates the body with oxygen and strengthens the cardiovascular system.
- Improves the quality of sleep. Evening yoga and meditation before bedtime help with insomnia and improve the quality of sleep. Evening practice is different from daytime practice, asanas before bedtime are aimed only at relaxation and tranquility. Increases the production of melatonin, the hormone responsible for quality, deep sleep.
- Benefits the figure and promotes weight loss. Most asanas in yoga are static exercises that require maximum tension of all muscles. Such workouts lead to active fat burning and weight loss.
How important is the level of fitness and technique?
For many people yoga is just about stretching, but besides flexibility you need strength, endurance and balance. That’s why, for example, it’s good for a man to work on flexibility and for a plastic girl – on willpower and muscle strength. Yoga is suitable for everybody. It brings our weaknesses into harmony. No need to give up the class if you’re not in the best physical shape. Even the most experienced practitioners were once beginners. Now their form is the result of years of hard work. Remember this and don’t compare yourself to someone else.
If you have certain health-related peculiarities, such as injuries, chronic diseases, severe pain, it is better to practice according to the system of yoga therapy. This school as a whole has a therapeutic orientation.
When and how much should I practice yoga?
It is best to practice in the morning, but if this is not possible, practice at any time convenient for you. The same applies to the duration of the classes. Ideally it’s at least 1.5 hours, but even 20 minutes a day is much better than nothing! Beginners should aim to exercise 3 times a week.
Motivation is a good thing, so negotiate a reward with yourself. For example, after a week of working out, you can go to a restaurant and order your favorite meal there. Or you can arrange for yourself to visit a spa. Especially good to do it in the winter, when after work you just want to wrap up in a blanket and watch shows.
Another useful tip: buy yourself a beautiful sports kit and a yoga mat – they will lift your spirits every day.
Keep it regular
Any innovation should be gradual. Just like one trip to the gym won’t give you abs, one yoga class won’t give you mental balance or body flexibility. Think through your schedule, make sure you can devote a few hours a week to your new hobby. A good incentive is to buy a monthly subscription to an online class, so you’ll have a clear idea of when and how much you practice.
Choose a mat
It’s better to buy your own mat for home classes, but you can also take it with you to studio classes. Do not save: cheap models will wrap, slip and will not last long. It should be compact and easy to roll up. The mat needs to be taken care of: wash and dry it after training, and some people prefer to use disinfectant spray.
The practice of yoga is usually inseparable from the ability to meditate, to be in an “out of mind” state. The ability to disconnect from thoughts is also a science that requires practice and a suitable quiet environment. Meditation can also be practiced separately from workouts, as many celebrities do. But if you practice it together, the effect will be better. In addition, yoga is closely connected with energy processes, so it is useful to know the techniques of auto-training and relaxation. Try to devote a few minutes to meditation in the morning, and you will understand what effect it has on the state of mind.